Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running with AF. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to my AF but my long term goal was to get back to a level where I could enter the lottery for 2012. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qual for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. Now back to Hardrock.

The heart problems all started back on May 25: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Getting nervous

I have had a pretty average week. Coming off a 4 day weekend that allowed some extra mileage I have been run down all week. I skipped my planned run on Wednesday opting for a steady 5km walk instead. No stairs. Struggled on the few runs I did have and took a couple of kilos out of my training pack. Woke up yesterday with a really sore lower calf. Damn. Not sure what caused it but my 3:45hr run at the You Yangs yesterday was really painful. Coupled with the low energy I was getting worried. After a really painful massage yesterday ( I think there are teeth marks in Bengt's table) the leg felt fine this morning. Went for a very easy 10km this morning with W and L. Then backed up for an hour in the Ironbark Basin with T. I felt great. I was flying down the hills, getting big air off the ledges and jamming it in the gullies. I ran all the uphills, even with the weighted pack. I can't remember the last time I ran the big hills out of the Basin. It was the confident booster I needed and reassured me that I was just having a bad week. I even missed Spud running in Poor Mans Comrade I have been so focussed.

This time next week and I will be in the air. Only 27 sleeps.

3 comments:

Spud said...

Good to see you are so focussed. PMC...pffft there is only one race HARDROCK!!

undercover brother said...

so did u finish? :)

Harro said...

Well done Whippett

Harro