Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running with AF. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to my AF but my long term goal was to get back to a level where I could enter the lottery for 2012. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qual for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. Now back to Hardrock.

The heart problems all started back on May 25: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Day 14: Sun 4th

You have to see the 4th July in Silverton to believe it.

The day starts early with the local fun run: 10km, 5km and 2km. With the benefit of experience I opted to watch rather than run (in 2008 I spent the restof the day coughing up half a lung!).
Mid morning all the Hardrockers met up to to 'march' in the 4th July parade. OMG it is a huge parade. And it is a ball to be a part of it, walking behind the HR start/finish banner.

Next comes the rhubarb pie festival. For a couple of bucks you get a slab of homemade pie and icecream. Mmmm yum. We ate this while the brass band played in the gazebo in the park.

Then time for a nap, in preparation for the HUGE fireworks display that evening. And they put on a huge display that goes for half an hour. I am not a big firework fan but the amphitheatre effect of the fireworks reverberating up the canyon is unbelievable. It was a really cool evening sitting around a fire pit outside Charlie's place watching the show. And then the massive logjam as thousands and thousands of cars tried to all exit via the single road, Hwy 550.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Friday.
Man I hate that I didn't get in. Maybe next year.

John Dove