Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running with AF. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to my AF but my long term goal was to get back to a level where I could enter the lottery for 2012. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qual for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. Now back to Hardrock.

The heart problems all started back on May 25: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Perils of track

While out on my evening run I was pondering the recent 24hr track race
and puzzling how some of the regulars had had such bad runs. I was
thinking I shouldn't criticise as I haven't run one. Then I got to
thinking: how hard could it be? Maybe I could just do one so that I can
cast judgment from experience. And I was thinking how far could I go. I
was running effortlessly on the open grassy fairway of a golf course
under a full moon contemplating these possibilities when a sharp pain
jabbed me in the knee, almost collapsing my leg and me with it. I
stopped and walked. Damn track. Even just thinking about it is bad for
you. The trail gods were not happy. I reaffirmed my pledge to not run
track and gingerly started running again. My knee gradually came good.
Amazing.

1 comment:

undercover brother said...

doing a track race is like having teeth pulled without a 'local'.