Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Monday, December 25, 2006

Ready to start the new year

So I haven't had time, energy or inclination to post to this blog in
ages. But as the year draws to a close I start to refocus on my main
aim for 2007: Western States. I had a solid trail run today. Since
Bogong was cancelled I stopped with the heat acclimatisation and
carrying 5kg on my back with every run. I still had a pack on after
running with W and the dogs but it was near empty. I did 3 hard hill
repeats on the Nature Trail loop. I bombed the steep technical downhill
section. On the second run there were a couple of old walkers on their
way up and I couldn't resist getting some big air time off one of the
bike ramps as I went past. I don't think my knees were too
appreciative, but it sure was a buzz. I was out for about 3 hours total
with some solid up-hill power walking and fast and furious downs. I
will do 2 Bays in a couple of weeks, 55km. Then Maroondah, 54km in
February. Six foot in March, 46km. Prom in April, 100km. May still
deciding between the 80km night run at Glasshouse, as I have done the
last couple of years or Walhalla. I figure with petrol the way it is it
will be just as cheap to go to GH. And it is a perfect training run.
Then I need one last solid hitout at the end of May. I would love to do
a Fatass 12' but the credits are already wearing thin. And with GH100
and GNW100 still to go in the year I could be in big trouble........So
many races and so little cartilage left. Every run now feels like a
training run for WS. Common sense and the coach say that all the races
should be run and not raced. But that is near impossible. And I'm only
doing 6' if I'm in good shape. Which I should be. And after the shocker
at Maroondah last year I will want to run that hard. And GH50 is hard
to hold back with the first 10km all downhill. Oh well, I guess that's
the way I approach all my ultras so why should I change this year?

1 comment:

Brendan said...

merry christmas mate. look fwd to seeing you on the 7th. Brendan