Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Friday, June 23, 2006

1 Sleep 'Till the Big One

Tomorrow is d-day for trail runners who have made the pilgrimage to the
Sierra Nevadas. I can only imagine the nerves I would be experiencing
had I made it there this year. The excitement of the build up would be
somewhat overwhelming. I can't wait to see the little blips make their
way across the map on the webcast. I might watch the dvd again tonight
as preparation and to help relate to the names on the map. I up-loaded
a pic of the silver buckle as my CR avatar. Thoroughly pretentious but
who cares. It reminds me every time I post that the next 12 months are
all about getting an entry, getting fit, and staying healthy. What the
hell. That's what it's been about for the last 12 months but I let the
brains trust talk me into prolonging the agony for another year. But as
John said half the fun is in the voyage to the starting line. With
plenty of ultras lined up between now and then I know I'm going to
enjoy the journey. If I can stay uninjured.

Had hoped to get out for a couple of hours of easy trail today. Took
the dogs for a run first to test the toe. Managed about 3 km on rough
grass wearing my old Tevas that have a stiff shank in the midsole but
ended in tears. So I took the coach's advice and dusted off the old
cannondale for a 1 1/2 hour ride. Did the Cementies hill twice then out
to the falls then up the road to Mount Pellier. Man am I unfit and my
legs weak. Bloody near killed me. Not to mention a few hairy incidents
on the loose gravel down hills. Must switch from the slicks back to mtb
treads. I'm going to put the old road bike onto the rollers in the gym.
I can cope with a tready when I'm injured but it has to be bad to get
on the rollers. 7 weeks to 12'. Getting bad. But then I'd limp 12'
rather than miss it. Keep Ken company. Might even persuade Kevin to
limp along at the back. That way when the rat appears I've only got to
out pace him....

Go John.

4 comments:

undercover brother said...

just remember my son,
training for ultras on the bike is even better than running.
but one must stay ON the bike to get full benefit.

undercover brother said...

who the hell is darsky?
anyhoo....
how about updating this thing u lazy bugger.
i need to know how many sleeps.

Anonymous said...

Hey unc have you given your dog blog access?

undercover brother said...

my dogs a husky not a malamute!