Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Big Toe Blues

Well, actually reds. It is still red. I haven't sort professional
help, as usual relying on my on inept diagnostics and some distant
curb-side consultations but I'm leaning towards gout! Crap. I really
don't want it to be gout but that would explain the incredible pain
and the duration of it. Also the onset several days after the run
rather than immediately. And the failure to respond to my usual home
remedies for soft-tissue injuries. Damn. I can at least walk now.
That's a start. Forget running. Maybe I might revisit mountain biking?
I like going downhill fast. It is interesting seeing the different
comments that this blogs elicits. From genuine empathy to harsh
criticism. Hmmm. Who's idea was this blog anyhow? I read recently in a
totally unreliable, unscientific article that you lose 10% of you
fitness after 1 week of not training. 20% after 2 weeks. Like I had
that much to lose! In retrospect that might explain my lack of
performance at GC100. If this were true I should have no fitness at
all by now. Well maybe it is. How fit do you need to play lawn bowls,
I wonder?

On a totally different topic I noticed that a legend of WS is retiring
this weekend: <fontfamily><param>Arial</param>Tim Twietmeyer recently
announced that his 25th running of the Western States 100 (WS100) this
June will be his last.

</fontfamily>

1 comment:

tim said...

I thought gout was an old man's problem.

Come to think about it I guess it is :)