Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Monday, June 19, 2006

WS2006 vs World Cup

As the world watches the soccer World Cup unfold there are 400 odd
ultra runners making their way to the start line at Squaw Valley.
Sitting on the plane to the GC100 last week I couldn't help thinking I
should have been heading there myself. I had all the plans in place and
completing GH100 2005 gave me the necessary qualifier and confidence.
As I sit here with my aching toe elevated watching soccer in the early
hours of the morning I can only imagine the nervousness being
experienced by those counting down the last 6 sleeps until their race
begins. I won't be watching the world cup next weekend. The webcast of
the runner's progress will have all my attention.

1 comment:

undercover brother said...

again with the WS talk.
what is it about this blog.
seems to be a lot about this event ;).

mate i'm sure you'll watch it closely.
feeling all the nerves will help u prepare for next year.
guess if the gc100 is on the same time u definately wont be running both!