Ultrarunner fighting Atrial Fibrilation (AF)

This blog has pretty much always been about running ultras, mostly Hardrock. It still is but now it is also about running after AFib. I was forced to miss Hardrock in 2011 due to the onset of AF but my long term goal was to get back to running milers. And hopefully help any other runners with AF who stumble upon this site. I never made it into Hardrock in 2012, or 2013, or 2014. I didn't have a qualifier for 2015. I ran Fatdog in Canada instead. That was tough. I finished my 4th Hardrock in 2016 and now I'm back to try for the magical number 5.

If you want the history of my AF the heart problems all started back on May 25 2011: http://howmanysleeps.blogspot.com/2011/05/out-of-hardrock.html

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Real Deal WS 2006

There are only 16 sleeps until WS 2006. There is still 50 cm of snow on
the high trail. It could be really tough going. There are runners still
looking for pacers. Ho, hum. I'll be watching the progress from my
couch.

3 days out from the GC100. Haven't had much of a lead up. Ran an easy
5km today with the puppies. A few niggles but that is standard. Once
you toe that line any pre-existing injuries don't count. Guaranteed
there'll be a few after. That concrete path is an absolute killer.
Plan: try and run fairly even splits and not get sucked along too
early. With no Fat Bloke, to tell stories and the entourage of Spud,
Run67 and G it won't be such a social occasion. I'll look for a more
sensible pace and see if I can bring it home stronger than last year.

2 comments:

Spud said...

I ran on the grassy verge next to the path last year, at least for the first few laps, hard work but saved a bit of the concrete thrashing.
Have a good one mate! Hopefully we'll get some updates via Ian.

undercover brother said...

well come on then.
where is your gc100 report?
where r u?
on holidays or something? :)